Friday 10 November 2017

The Homeless Appeal So Far..... #ProjectCodeRed


(Items collected at Nuffield after the first week)
 
 
Being a pageant queen there are many things I use my title to be passionate for, from Mental Health and Body Confidence which are my main platforms to the charities I am ambassadors for like The Beni Bear Club and Project Code Red.
 
 
I started the Threshold Homeless Appeal in 2015, or rather Jade started the idea of us Wiltshire Beauty Queens starting an appeal, I got my workplace involved by offering guest passes for items (Many Thanks Nuffield!) and our first collection was handed in with two big suitcases full of needed items.
 

(Half of the 2016 collection at Threshold)
 
2016 I held the appeal myself, once again starting in November and just using Nuffield as a base to donate items. We over exceeded last years given items and donated over 10 bags full of products. We learnt about what Threshold do here in Swindon, from providing care out on the streets, in hostels and for those starting in their own accommodation again after sleeping rough. They also give people on the street tokens to use in nearby facilities so they can have a fresh shower, a little something to make them feel human again.
 

(Ruth and Myself with the first items donated to the appeal!)
 
So we come round to November for my third appeal, and this time I really wanted to get the whole pageant community involved as well as my local community. Being an ambassador for the Project Code Red charity, who promote and provide sanitary items for homeless females, I wanted to get across the fact the these items are the least donated items in the appeal. For just 28p you can get a pack of ten maxi pads, something that is loose change to some of us when we are shopping! So I set the challenge to add a couple of these to their basket and send me the items. I've had a great response so far from beauty queens in all different systems asking for my address and packaging up their goodies for the appeal.
 

(Hayley Miss Teen Catwalk UK and her items! Branded items as well!)
 
Sanitary pads and tampons are not often thought of when making homeless packs, but imagine being homeless and being the time of the month, not only do you feel unclean but when someone gives you some change you are more likely to spend that on something warm to eat rather than something to give you a bit of comfort. Often some females are so malnourished that their periods are very irregular so it's not even something you can plan ahead for!
 
(Mia, YEMI Junior finalist with her goodies, including lip balms and other hygiene items)
 
We still have another week to go to collect as many more items as we can! We are looking for the following:
 
# Shampoo/Conditioner/Dry Shampoo
#Deodorant
#Shower gel/ Soap
#Toothbrush/Toothpaste/ Mouthwash
# Sanitary Towels/ Tampons
#Wet wipes/ Anti Bacterial Gel
 
And anything else which is suitable for the homeless appeal.
 
If you would like to help you can send these items to me through post, or if you are in Swindon you can drop them off at Swindon Nuffield Health and Fitness. Every little items counts, even if you have travel size handy, or if it's a value product it doesn't take much!!
 
Other ways to help the homeless can be donating duvets, pillows and warm clothing which you can take to the Threshold bases which is located in Town Centre (opposite Lava Lounge).
 
Thank you all for your support and let's beat last year!!
 
Hannah Golding
 
Ms YEMI Wiltshire 2017
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment