Tuesday 28 November 2017

And the winner is.....

 (Confetti!)
 
It's been a long time coming but I can finally say that I have won a place to compete internationally in AMERICA! In Texas, of all places, the home of pageantry! The weekend has been full of amazing moments and I am still forever tired from all the emotions but let me tell you the story of how this 28 year old pregnant personal trainer become the new Young European International Ms, changing the stereotype for all women when it comes to pageants and opening more doors for us curvy girls to take those national titles!  
 
(Penelope HAD to be crowned before her mum right?!)
 
The journey to YEMI was a stressful one, a late dog sitter, traffic, the needing of a nap but not having the time and also the ice cream frozen on the plate but we made it to our hotel room for the next couple of days . Last year in YEMI I didn't place, I did win the congeniality (for my amaaazing personality, well the girls thought so!) so this year I wasn't taking anything less than placing somewhere in the pageant!! We were very lucky to see Mia crowned Junior Miss the night before, the look on her face when she was told she was going to America was enough to melt the coldest of hearts and was a joy to be part of! Also Jeyanne was out to make me cry as well, presenting my little bump with her very own sash and baby crown (maternity photos are going to be so extra!). It was such a touching moment that they would include my little miracle into the pageant and I will always be forever grateful!
 
(Interview Ready!)
 
After all the excitement, we rolled into our bedrooms after photoshoots and walking practice (to walk off all that ice cream!), ready to settle into some much needed beauty sleep. Sadly, my hotel room was next to a rowdy lot so cue no sleep and one grumpy queen in the morning! But as soon as the warrior paint was on (aka make up), heels donned and hair put back, it was time to win that crown for Wiltshire! Interviews are the best part about the pageant as you get to get across what you want to achieve as a beauty queen. I got to talk about my homeless project, my charity work and promoting body confidence. I did get the motto wrong but I believe the one I gave was much better ;) I'm joking of course, but the question was asked about why choosing yemi to compete. The pageant throughout the weekend was close knit, friendly and like a family, the best kind of vibes you can get from a pageant. All the divisions were mingling with each other, woman from all different backgrounds and diversity which makes the pageant even better when you enjoy being there. Of course we are all there to win, but if you don't, we take those experiences with us for the next time!
 
(Red, white and Blue round)
 
So after a quick nap, hair done and make up slayed by The Face Boss it was ready to go! We nailed our opening round, said our introductions and it was ready for the frantic changes between rounds that just make the pageant atmosphere! There were three judged rounds:
Red, White and Blue Round
Fashion Round
Evening Wear
 
For my red, white and blue I love vintage looks and found an amazing dress, on sale as well, on lindy Bop that had all the colours I needed. I bought two petticoats to make it swing and then was given a pair of mary jane shoes that my friend Georgia got on ebay for a few pounds. I made them pageant friendly by attaching 40,000 red gems with my trust glue gun!! I am so proud that this outfit was chosen as Best in Red,White and Blue for my division!
 
(My Fashion Wear, Swish Swish!)
 
Next was fashion, and the glue gun came out again to actually get me into this outfit! So in my head I created this piece using an old high low dress and taking the swishy part, attaching it to an old jumpsuit and then blinging it up with more gems. It looked amazing, then as I was trying it on I realised that the high low dress went over my head because my hips are too big, hence why it was stuck on my thighs in the catsuit! But a beauty queen can get over these, when it came on the night, dawn attached the parts onto my back and it was like nothing had every happened! I felt so comfortable  walking in this outfit, proud that I had made it although getting out of it also proved a struggle but it's all worth it in the end!
 
(Can you tell I like green!)
 
Finally out of the catsuit, it was time to slip into my evening gown which by far is one of my favourite dresses of all time as it's so unqiue! There is an old myth surrounding pageants that green is not a winning colour, too bad my skin colour and look really suits green!! It was so nice to take that walk in this gown, which I had practiced for so long! Then just like that it was the interval and no more could of been done to add to those scores. Time to rest those feet and wait nervously!
 
(We didn't plan to match!)
 
The support I had from the crowd and on live stream was amazing, my two fellow Wiltshire beauty queens were channelling my green vibes by turning up in the same colours! As did my pageant mum Jill in her green dress, green is the colour of the Wiltshire flag! With each round I could here them cheering and it made me smile, feel more confident and remember that I do have the support there! After the current queens good bye walks, which are always so emotional it was time for results! When the Ms category was finally called up, my heart was beating so fast I couldn't hear anything else. First of all the side awards were called out, I was happy with the best in RWB and very very happy for the highest score in Interview which is always the award I want to win! Then it came to call the name who had won, the tense moment when it's silent and then suddenly they call your name!! If you play back the live feed you can see how shocked I am, of course I balled my eyes out, I look over to my friends and they are crying, its a surreal moment! I am the winner!!
 
(My crowning moment!)
 
I got to take my first walk as the Ms queen, and watch Dawn be crowned Mrs. All my predictions for the winners were right (fro once) and I am so excited to be joining them in Texas to represent Europe!! As soon as crowning was over it was a rush from my friends who all came on stage to hug me, wiping tears away, massive smiles, Wiltshire had done it! crown 2 of 5 for us girls!!
 
(My lovely Megan and I after crowning)
 
After the finals we got all our goodies and done our Christmas shoot (first time ever for me!), the hungry finally got to me and it was off to my room at half 11 at night to try and digest the fact that I had won. The curvy queen, who talks about mental health, who is currently 5 months pregnant and not letting the world slow her down. I will be representing Europe, and going to Texas where I have NEVER been out of Europe before! I have so much planned for my year as queen, starting with this Saturday when I hope to see my bestie Georgia be crowned Mrs Sensational UK. It's been a tough year for me, but now I have so much to look forward to! So for now I must go back to the day job and try wake myself up to teach Aqua but I will sign off with this,
 
I am YOUR new Young European Ms International 2017
 
 
x <3 x
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment